A security guard has broken down after revealing how he battled to save a gifted teenage university student's life.

Shahida Shahid, 18, from Worsley, Salford, had a dairy allergy and died after eating a chicken burger marinated in butter milk at a restaurant, an inquest has heard.

She had previously needed to have urgent treatment at a restaurant in Birmingham after a previous violent reaction, the court was told.

Shahida was out with friends when she became suddenly ill and collapsed, just minutes after the meal at Almost Famous.

A friend administered her epi-pen to combat the allergic reaction and she was rushed to hospital.

Imran Farooqi, a security guard who tended to Shahida at the Printworks that night, broke down in court as he described trying to save her, reports the MEN.

The special constable said: "She was just finding it difficult to breathe. Her appearance was deteriorating.

"She was getting pale in her face.

"I've knelt down and looked at Shahida and requested over the radio for the cameras to be put on Norwegian Blue because she doesn't look well.

"She was sat down.

"One of her friends said she was finding it hard to breathe.

"I started speaking to Shahida.

"You could see her face was going paler.

"She was scratching herself vigorously.

"It was hard to control her.

"She grabbed hold of me and was crying for help."

Mr Farooqi paused and began to cry quietly in the witness box.

He continued: "Being a father with a daughter of a similar age, my father role just kicked in before you know it. She was gasping for air. Her stomach was bloated.

"Me and my colleague put her in the recovery position and then I shouted for assistance, and asked to get the defibrillator down."

Mr Farooqi said he took it in turns to carry out CPR with a fellow security guard, the inquest heard.

Asked if he thought she was responding to treatment, he said: “To be quite truthful, there was no recovery in her. We just followed the instructions of the defibrillator. I think it was 20 minutes we were doing CPR.”

Emma Tattersall, who had known Shahida from the age of three, recalled how Shahida appeared to have been crying when she started having her allergic reaction against the wall of Norwegian Blue bar at The Printworks.

Ms Tattersall said: “She did look really red, maybe puffy. I can’t be sure but yes. Shahida also began scratching herself vigorously.

“She was proper scratching around her legs. The security guards had to hold her arms to stop her from doing it.”

Shahida died in hospital on January 12 2015, three days after eating at the restaurant, the inquest at Manchester Coroner’s Court heard.

Sally Hadfield, assistant deputy coroner for Manchester, outlined the case to the jury of the six women and five men at the start of the hearing, expected to last eight days.

Shahida’s family, her mother and brother, represented by lawyers, sat at the back of the court, behind more lawyers for the restaurant and Manchester City Council, responsible for inspecting restaurants.

The court heard Shahida was in her first year studying a masters in mathematics.

She went out for a meal with friends in over the Christmas holidays to discuss their first term at university.

Two dead after light aircraft crash near Tewkesbury

While at Almost Famous she ordered and ate the chicken burger that had been marinated in butter milk.

The coroner continued: “We will hear evidence she gave a description of her allergies and hear from some witnesses as to what the restaurant did with that information.

“She ate the chicken burger and at the time did not feel any effect but walked up towards the Printworks at around 8pm that evening and suddenly then the effect of her allergy became apparent.

“She began to feel ill and collapsed.”

Although a friend administered her epi-pen that she carried with her, she did not recover after suffering severe brain injuries and died three days later.

Ms Hadfield said the main issues the jury will have to consider is how she came to eat a burger marinated in dairy produce, the butter milk, what was discussed with restaurant staff and evidence about the epi-pen.

The first witness, Shahida’s older sister, Dr Sharmin Shahid, a GP living in Bristol, said her sister developed eczema and asthma as a child and had allergies, avoiding food including dairy products, eggs, fish and nuts.

But the witness said her sister adopted a dairy-free diet and was otherwise able to live normally.

Dr Shahid said as a “bossy” older sister, she taught her sibling when out for meals to tell the waiter about her allergies and if it was not being taken on board she would step in.

On two previous occasions she had been hospitalised with allergic reactions after inadvertently eating dairy produce.

On her 16th birthday, with her father battling terminal cancer, while at home she had pancakes with whole milk instead of soya milk and had an allergic reaction. She was treated in hospital and prescribed an epi-pen.

Then in November 2013, while at a restaurant in Birmingham she had some food and another reaction and her GP sister administered the epi-pen and she spent four hours in hospital under observation.

Dr Shahid agreed her sister was confident and was “very good at being vocal” talking to restaurant staff about what she could not eat.

The hearing continues.