A 16-year-old boy has admitted the manslaughter of Troy Paul who died after being stabbed last Summer.

The youth, who can’t be named for legal reasons, pleaded guilty to the manslaughter of the father-of-one, who was knifed in a street fight in Twickenham Road, Kingstanding on July 8 last year.

His not guilty plea to murder was accepted by the prosecution.

Troy Paul
Troy Paul

He also admitted having an offensive weapon, a kitchen knife.

The 23-year-old victim was the father of a nine-month-old son, according to a fundraising campaign launched following the tragedy.

Michael Burrows QC, prosecuting at Birmingham Crown Court, said the teenager’s plea was on a written basis.

He said it was the prosecution’s case that most of the “significant” injuries sustained by the defendant were caused when he ran away through bushes.

Mr Burrows said: "The defendant accepts that he caused all of the injuries that Troy Paul sustained."

He also said the teenager had shouted abuse at the start of the incident.

Judge Melbourne Inman QC said: “As far as sentence is concerned I will need a pre-sentence report.

"Because you are still young I need to have all the information I can before I sentence you."

He adjourned sentence until January 29 and remanded the teenager in custody.